Monday, February 20, 2012

Day 1 in IJC

It has been a while since I reflected about teaching on the ground.

My entrance into Innova Junior College has been largely smooth, for which I am thankful for. The colleagues are excellent while the school leaders have been very nurturing and supportive. My first day at the school reaped some rather beneficial fruits as the group of new teachers shared their portfolios with the school.

It was heartening for both the school and the new teachers to see that our goals, ideology and beliefs largely aligned towards the same direction. What struck me most was the theme of the year 2012.

Monitor, Motivate, Mastery to Shine.

Given how students in the school seem to lack that sense of motivation and some form of mastery, I felt that it was appropriate that the school took up the mantle and spearhead the cause in helping their students. It is also encouraging to see that the school's policy gears towards not only looking after the well- being of students but also that of the teachers. Its goal of establishing a strong and well-supported staff culture was one that resonated well with staff members, both new and old ones.

What struck me most was essentially the school's policy towards grooming leaders of tomorrow. As teachers, we are indeed shaping hopes of the future. However, we never know where the limits of our influence lie. For Innova Junior College, to perpetuate the notion of grooming leaders in students is one firm step forward in helping students to gain more confidence about themselves and their capabilities.

To be leaders of themselves.
To be leaders of others.
To be leaders of leaders.

How does an individual lead others when one is unable to master him or herself? Indeed, to look after others, one must start looking him or herself first. I firmly believe in the goal of student leadership and in the process, helping them to be leaders of themselves. However, I also recognize the reality that not everyone can be leaders of others or to reach the pinnacle of the pyramid, be leaders of leaders. Hence, the very foremost goal should be helping students to be masters of themselves.

All in all, it was a great induction process by Innova Junior College. I thoroughly enjoyed the process of learning the policy and directions of the school, meeting new colleagues and getting a gradual feel of the school's culture and atmosphere.

And I can safely say that I truly like what I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment